300 mine workers at Lanxess’s in Rustenburg, South Africa, remained underground for the sixth day yesterday in protest against their boss who loves sex.
The mine workers affiliated to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA), have been underground since Wednesday afternoon and the protest which was in reaction to the alleged sex-for-jobs scandal at the chrome mine is aimed at initiating an investigation into the scandal.
It was learnt that the alleged perpetrator had not been suspended and no disciplinary action had been taken against him, even after the NUMSA members raised a series of issues with the mine bosses. NUMSA’s general-secretary Irvin Jim, who confirmed that the 300 mine have remained underground in protest against their boss who loves sex, said;
“We are in the middle of a crisis. Our workers have been exposed to a risky situation for six days and because of the conditions underground, some of them fell sick and had to be taken to hospital. Other issues relate to organisational rights, our union is not recognised despite having the majority in terms of numbers. About 50 members have been dismissed and in our view that was orchestrated by them joining the union.”
Ben Marais, managing director at Lanxess, confirmed that the strike started on Wednesday. He said the company’s management received a list of demands that addresses various labour-related matters, including a case of sexual harassment.